The question that most new planners ask “Do you need an Education to be a Wedding Planner?”. With everything else in life, I think a great education system, training and awesome experience will set you up to be successful. They are a few wedding professionals that I know that do not have any certification or schooling and they are extremely successful. You do not need to go to school but I strongly believe that you need to get some sort of education in order to really be as successful as you can in the business.
What sort of education do you need? If you have a background in event management, the hospitality industry, business and sales then you are set up for success. If you really want to take it a step further, getting a certification specifically in wedding planning will be ideal. Look up places that offer event management programs such as colleges. You are also able to search for different institutions that offer wedding planning programs both online or at local colleges.
Having a certification in wedding planning is great for your portfolio and creditability as you can share this achievements with potential clients. A client is mostly likely to book a company or an individual if they know that they are educated or they are certified to plan weddings. This certification will definitely put you in front of the competition. You would not go see a doctor that does not have credentials to practise medicine. The same goes for planning a wedding for a client. They want to trust you with the single most important day in their lives.
You might also like: 10 Habits of a Successful wedding planner
After getting yourself educated, you should continue improving your skills. You can do this by finding a wedding mentor to help further your business, reading blogs, attending conferences & events and other classes that can help boost your wedding business. Other courses that I have taken to secure great skill and knowledge is attending floral classes, event design classes and food/wine pairing events. I also have a Diploma in Hotel and Restaurant Management.
Why should you continue with educating yourself? Knowledge is power. When a client asks me for my opinion on how much wine they should purchase for their wedding day. I know what to say. Or my opinion on wedding colours – I can make suggestions. I took the time to educate myself with other aspects of wedding planning, I can better suggest. It puts me in a better position for them to book me as I am offering valuable information.
Do you need an Education to be a Wedding Planner?
As you can see, education has more benefits to you than not having one. You will be much more successful, you will know what you are doing and it will save you time and money in the long run. You would have acquired the skills needed to show clients that you are great for the job. A wedding certificate can be added to your wedding portfolio to show credibility. Think of this as building a strong foundation for your business.
What courses do we recommend?
Why go with “The Wedding Planners Institute of Canada?” – (WPIC)
Straight from their website:
- You don’t know, what you don’t know.” You owe it to yourself and your clients to get properly educated and certified.
- We are the only Canadian Wedding Coordinator Certification Course that regulates its members
- Wedding Planner courses are taught in-class across Canada (When will we be coming to you?)
- Get your Wedding Planner training and certification while you are working or going to school full-time
- We provide on-going education, employment opportunities, networking, resources, support and opportunities for Wedding Planners through our Alumni Association (free to all graduates) through WPICAlumni.com.
- We have trained and certified the on-site Wedding Coordinators at Sandals Resorts and Palace Resorts. As well as Hard Rock Hotels and Atlantis Resort. Do not forget the Bahamas Bridal Association. The Barbados Hotel & Tourism Board and many more.
Hands down, the most amazing program in Canada. Why? They give you the ins and outs of the industry. The professors are wedding planners themselves with full time wedding businesses. They have the most amazing connections you will ever need in order to be successful. Once you graduate, you will get a wedding certificate. You can use this as parts of your portfolio as we mentioned. You will also be entered into a board full of new and experienced wedding planners to help you along the way.
Not in Canada? Visit their International website for ON-LINE wedding planner courses.
You might also like: How to launch a successful wedding business?
WPIC has an amazing code of ethic that protects you in the industry. See the ethics below and decide if this is the right program for you:
WPIC Certified Wedding Coordinators are held to high standards of conduct.
Graduates of WPIC must abide by the following Code of Ethics or they can be stripped of their Certification and disbarred from the WPICAlumni Association.
WPIC Code of Ethics:
- They do not accept kickbacks (money for referrals) from vendors. Vendors must know that the clients are the recipients of any discounts given.
- They treat each client fairly, and we will be honest and upfront in the representation of our clients.
- They uphold their ethics. They will not take or attempt to take clients from, or discredit, other vendors with gossip or slander.
- Every client will receive a detailed contract for Wedding Day Direction, Destination or Full Wedding Coordination services.
- They will provide all services agreed upon in the contract that must be signed by both the client and Coordinator at the commencement of service.
- They believe in continuous education, networking and training within the Wedding Industry.
- Our pricing is upfront and industry comparable.
- They will make every effort to return calls and emails in a timely manner. (Within 48 hrs.)
- They always endeavour to benefit our client and not ourselves. Vendors are suggested on merit, in the best interests of the client, not ourselves or the vendor suggested.
- They can not guarantee your wedding will be perfect, but we can guarantee we will do everything within our power to make sure it is as close to perfection as it can be.
Contact WPIC Here and start your career- Find a course here!
A Few certified Planners below:
Are you a certified wedding planner? Who did you go with? Tell us below.
If you are not following us on Pinterest, we would love to have you. We have amazing marketing tips we share on their. Let’s be Pinterest Buddies:
Join our group of other wedding professionals in our “Wedding Professional Hive” an up coming Facebook group where we share marketing tips on a daily basis!