Men’s Wedding Guest Attire Etiquette
This is the ultimate men’s wedding guest outfit do’s and don’t list.
Perfect for men attending weddings this year.
Summer brings many wedding Saturdays and the ever-present anxiety of what to wear to your friend’s big day.
As a male wedding guest, there are certain etiquettes you need to follow so that you do not stick out like a sore thumb amidst the festivities.
Fortunately, to avoid this, most wedding invites specifically mention the dress code or theme of the wedding.
Now, you may not be acquainted with some of these, which have much to do with the attire you wear to the wedding.
Worry not; we are here to help you deconstruct these wedding dress codes and themes so you can finalize what to wear.
Wedding guest shopping for men is fun and exciting but can also get overwhelming.
We get it.
That’s why we really wanted to address wedding guest attire for men to help simplify the process.
We got many excellent questions from our men attending weddings this year.
A few questions that came up were:
What do guys wear to a wedding as a guest?
Do men have to wear a suit jacket to a wedding as a guest?
What should a make guest wear to a casual wedding?
What do men wear to a summer wedding as a guest?
All of these are great questions.
It shows that guest wedding attire for men can be tricky to comb through.
You want to put in your best effort as a guest at your friend’s wedding, but outshining the bride and groom is not an option.
Lucky for you, we have a few tips regarding men’s wedding guest outfit etiquette you can follow along with.
We have compiled a helpful list of DOs and DON’Ts to review before deciding on your wedding guest attire.
As a guest selected to be part of their special day, you must be considered very special to the couple.
You want to put in the effort and ensure you look stunning.
These men’s wedding guest outfit ideas will help you achieve your look.
If you have never gone shopping for wedding attire as a guest, we will cover everything you need to know about what to get.
We want you to feel at ease while shopping for your best friend’s dream wedding and to be well prepared.
We put together a few ideas for men’s wedding guest outfits, do’s and don’t, as well as to get for what themes.
We hope you enjoy our tips!
So, what is the best wedding guest attire for men?
Before we start on the best men’s wedding guest outfit etiquette, we wanted you to take the time to like our Facebook Page here! We also use affiliate links in our blog posts, meaning we can make a commission if you use any of our affiliate links.
Do’s and Don’ts For Wedding Outfits For Men
Are you unsure if you should wear pocket squares or what the best winter wedding outfits are?
And what are black-tie wedding outfits?
Where can you find the best men’s suits for wedding guests?
Grab a pen and paper as we share our best tips for men’s wedding guest outfit ideas.
A little thought should go into any men’s wedding guest outfit you pick out.
You want to keep the wedding theme in mind when choosing your outfit.
For example, men can wear suits or blazers with dress pants for a wedding.
Alternatively, you can wear a dress shirt with dress pants and add a tie or bow tie for a more formal look.
It’s also essential to choose appropriate footwear, such as dress shoes, instead of running shoes unless that ties in with the theme.
It’s best to avoid wearing jeans or sneakers to a wedding.
With that in mind, here are our best men’s wedding guest outfit etiquettes to keep in mind:
1. Black-Tie Wedding Guest Attire For Men
You open the wedding invitation, and it says the dress code is Black-Tie.
This is the most common and traditional dress code for a wedding.
It indicates that you must wear a tuxedo jacket, pants, and a bow tie.
There is little room for creativity regarding the Black-Tie wedding dress code, but you can still try a few tricks to show off your style.
For example, you could break out your best dress boots, or wear a stylish lapel pin.
Sticking with tradition is the safest way to ace this look.
Don’t worry about looking too plain; sometimes less is more.
- Wear dark colours: A Black-Tie wedding dress code usually involves only black or midnight blue colours. If you are wearing a different colour, try to wear one as close to black or midnight blue as possible. I love this black tuxedo suit – it’s elegant and classy.
- Wear the right shoes: Casual shoes such as slippers and sneakers are inappropriate for this attire. Go for dress shoes, leather shoes, or a velvet oxford.
- Wear a collared dress shirt/ tuxedo shirt: You can wear a tuxedo shirt in a different colour or pattern as per the theme of the wedding, but polo shirts, t-shirts, and other casual shirts are not appropriate. Avoid anything considered even remotely casual unless you want to be side-eyed.
- Wear a white or ivory-coloured dinner jacket: This is reserved exclusively for the groom and groomsmen. As a male guest, you are expected to wear either black or midnight blue, as mentioned.
- Upstage the groom: Remember that you should dress as tastefully as possible. Too many details on your attire could overshadow the groom. Remember, he is the man of the hour, not you.
- Wear a floral boutonniere: Make sure only to wear lapel pins instead, since these are typically only reserved for the groom and groomsmen. Since there are few options to show off your style otherwise, a unique lapel pin can attract the right kind of attention.
2. Formal Wedding Guest Attire For Men
Formal men’s wedding guest outfits can be slightly more relaxed than black tie events.
If the wedding dress code is “Formal, ” you can wear a much more relaxed attire while retaining most Black-Tie rules.
The most significant difference is that a tuxedo is optional for a Formal wedding.
You may or may not choose to wear one.
Instead, you could go for a suit.
However, it is essential to wear darker colours.
If you wear blue, go for dark shades instead of light ones.
- Wear dark colours: Similar to the Black-Tie wedding attire, Formal wedding attire also implies dark colours. While black and midnight blue are not necessarily the only options here, you will be golden if you choose a dark solid colour.
- Wear a bow tie or a necktie: You can choose to wear a bow tie or a necktie. However, don’t go without one. An attire with no bow tie or necktie can come off as casual or semi-casual.
- Wear a collared formal shirt: Similar to the Black-Tie wedding attire; you should wear a collared dress shirt or a light-coloured formal collared shirt. T-shirts, polo shirts, or any other casual shirts are inappropriate for this type of wedding attire for men.
- Wear casual shoes: Formal wedding attire does not necessarily require patent leather, but dress shoes and loafers are acceptable. However, do not wear anything overly casual, such as slippers or open-toed shoes.
- Try to upstage the groom: This should be a cautionary point for all weddings since you attend as a guest. It is not your big day, so trying to outshine the groom will not be a good look at you. How would you feel if someone attended your wedding looking stunning and admittedly better than you?
- Mix and match your suits: Sometimes the best colours are not those that match, but rather, those that are considered opposites. However, try to reserve that outlook for a different event. Formal wedding attire should always have the same suit and trousers.
- Wear a floral boutonniere: This should only be reserved for the groom and groomsmen. Don’t wear a boutonniere if you are not part of the wedding party. Wear a stylish lapel pin or unique cuff links if you like showing off.
3. Semi-Formal Guest Attire For Men
Cocktail weddings have become very popular in recent times.
If the wedding invitation mentions a Cocktail dress code, it essentially means semi-formal attire.
You can count on your intuition for this one.
There is considerable leeway to make bold fashion statements as long as you keep everything classy.
Don’t end up going to the venue in shorts or something.
After all, it is a wedding.
- Wear a suit or blazer: For Cocktail attire, a lightweight suit or blazer should be a decent fit. Remember, plenty of dancing is involved in these weddings, so wear something you can quickly move about in. Sports coats have also become very popular for Cocktail weddings.
- Wear a necktie: You can loosen up considerably from a Formal or Black-Tie wedding so that a bowtie would be over the top. However, a necktie is usually considered a staple for Cocktail attire. This is because you can choose a stylish necktie that complements your outfit. You can loosen up as the evening progresses and slip it off if required.
- Wear accessories: Do not go easy on the accessories for Cocktail attire. You could wear your best Rolex watch, a shiny tie bar, or minimalist jewelry to accentuate your fashion statement. Weddings are a place to meet people, after all. You could catch someone’s eye with the right kind of accessories.
- Wear a tuxedo: A tux is a big no-no for Cocktail attire. At the most, you could have a suit or a blazer. You could steal the limelight if you wear something too sophisticated when a semi-formal dress code has been mentioned.
- Wear Jeans: While this is a semi-formal event, jeans are inherently casual. It is inappropriate to wear at any wedding unless a casual dress code is specified. Go for trousers that match your suit or blazer instead of jeans.
- Wear clothing with tears and holes: Cocktail attire must be dress-to-impress, and the casual trend of ripped and torn clothes will look absurd and out-of-place at a wedding.
4. Casual Men’s Wedding Guest Attire
Most people tend to be relieved if the dress code specified in the wedding invitation is casual.
However, this is the trickiest attire to navigate, considering many different styles and kinds of casual attire.
At the end of the day, it is still a wedding. Not all casual clothing will match the vibe of the occasion.
The best thing to do is to look at the venue, timing, and theme of the wedding, and decide what to wear.
- Wear chinos: As mentioned, it may be tricky to understand what kind of casual is considered good enough for a wedding. The best bet is to wear chinos since they are casual and semi-formal. You could also go for khakis depending on the rest of the ensemble.
- Wear colourful clothes: The one thing you can count on for Casual attire is the appreciation for colour. Ditch the traditional blacks and blues, and don’t hesitate to mix and match your outfit.
- Wear T-shirts: While the dress code mentions Casual attire, a T-shirt might be too casual for the event. However, you could wear a polo shirt if you want to wear short sleeves.
- Wear a bow tie: Bow ties are only suitable for Black-Tie and Formal attires. A necktie might also be considered too formal for a casual wedding, but you can customize it to make it look more casual. For example, loosening it up while wearing a solid-coloured dress with rolled-up sleeves will look dashing.
- Wear flip-flops or open-toed shoes: Closed-toed shoes are the norm for any wedding unless the venue is a beach. You do not necessarily have to go for dress shoes, but casual loafers or oxfords should be among your choices.
And there you have it for wedding clothes for male guests!
Weddings are festive and celebratory occasions.
Whether you are going with someone or attending alone, looking right is crucial because we make immortal memories during weddings.
With these tips, you can choose the right ensemble for any wedding you are invited to.
Best Places To Get Men’s Wedding Guest Attires:
Whether you enjoy shopping online or prefer to visit a physical store, these are some of the best places to grab stylish men’s wedding guest outfit attires.
If you have any further questions, feel free to share them below.